Director of Studies / Senior Teacher Reports to: Centre Director
The Emerald Cultural Institute has over 30 years’ experience in providing high quality English courses. From the moment our young learners arrive, ECI staff work hard to ensure that they are active, learning effectively and having the educational experience of a lifetime.
Main Purpose of the Job:
To take responsibility for assisting the Centre Director in all aspects of the course and to ensure the smooth running of the academic programme at all times throughout the course to the maximum benefit of students.
Set up and Close down
• Assist in the setting up of the school and assigning duties to staff as required.
• Welcome the students on the first Sunday co-ordinating orientation around the site, allocation of and checking into rooms, banking, calls home and initial “getting to know you” entertainment
• Assist in induction of students and group leaders onto course.
• Unpack and pack academic resources at the beginning and end of the course and monitor usage, reporting any missing or damaged materials to the Centre Director.
• Lead academic meetings at the local pre-course training, and each morning during the course.
• Advise and support teachers in the delivery of lessons, and conduct a weekly in-house training session.
• Observe teachers and provide feedback on performance (once during the teacher’s first week and periodically thereafter).
• Welcome students on the first Monday, explaining the academic programme and expectations, co-ordinating the placement testing and allocating students and teachers to groups.
• Ensure the prompt completion of student report forms, certificates and other academic documentation, passing these on to the Centre Director no later than Friday afternoon for leaving students.
• Take overall responsibility when the Centre Director is off site
• Take responsibility for conduct in the school building e.g. locking up, lights off, general tidiness, etc
• Teach as required on all courses as emergency cover and where numbers fall below 40 students.
• Take responsibility for and supervise homework sessions on a rota basis if required.
• Assist with the leisure programme as required.
• Form a close working relationship with the Centre Director and the Activity Manager
• Ensure the health and safety, welfare and discipline of students, anticipating discrimination, bullying, and damage.
• Monitor the whereabouts of students through roll-calls at assembly, lunch-time and in the evenings, ensuring that supervision and lesson times are respected.
• Monitor student performance and satisfaction through student reports, classroom records, weekly progress checks, end-of-course questionnaires etc.
• Act as the local assistant Designated Safeguarding Officer
• Welcome visitors to the programme as required (e.g. third party agents, colleagues from ECI, language agencies, accrediting inspectors etc.)
Qualifications and experience
• MA in TEFL related field or DipTEFLA
• Experience of managing a team
• Experience of working with teenagers
• Familiarity with materials
• DBS Certification. Requirements of the Job
• Attendance at pre-season training
• Arrival at centre three days before course start date
• Attendance during the course on a rota basis for six days per week
• One full day off per week