Activity Manager Reports to: Centre Director
The Emerald Cultural Institute has over 30 years’ experience in providing high quality English courses. From the moment our young learners arrive, ECI staff work hard to ensure that they are active, learning effectively and having the educational experience of a lifetime.
Main Purpose of the Job:
To be responsible for the successful delivery of the Leisure Programme, ensuring that the activities and excursions are stimulating, structured, and inclusive, and that the welfare, safety and discipline of the students are paramount.
• Assist in setting up course in situ in advance of students’ arrival, including unpacking, distribution and storage of course materials.
• Complete a full inventory and monitor usage, reporting any missing or damaged equipment to the Centre Director.
• Lead the activity meeting at the pre-course training and daily during the course to review previous day’s activities, planning ahead, etc.
• Assist in induction of students and group leaders onto course.
• Welcomes the students on the first Sunday co-ordinating orientation around the site, allocation of and checking into rooms, banking, calls home and initial “getting to know you” entertainment
• Co-ordinate and support the activity leader team (including residential teachers), motivating and leading through example.
• Monitor the Leisure Programme and adapt as appropriate in consultation with the Centre Director.
• Allocate and brief centre staff for all activities, supervision arrangements and excursions, ensuring staffing ratios are maintained at all times.
• Advertise and build enthusiasm for programmed activities
• Bring in new and fresh ideas and implement these into the Activity Programme
• Confirm all bookings for excursions with agents, transport companies and operators, and ensure that correct methods of payments are allocated to staff and paperwork returned.
• Monitor expenditure on the Leisure Programme providing full receipts and detailed records of expenditure on course programme to ensure that costs remain within budget.
• Co-ordinate with the Centre Director and centre staff on arrival and departure duties to ensure the safe arrival/departure of all students.
• Liaise with the Centre Director and DOS/Senior Teacher on the morning meetings and participate as appropriate.
• Ensure the attendance of all students throughout the leisure programme.
• Take responsibility for the health, safety, welfare and discipline of the students anticipating discrimination, bullying and damage.
• Liaise with the Centre Director each day regarding planned activities, use of additional facilities and issues of safety, welfare and discipline.
• Take responsibility for the supervision of leisure activities ensuring health and safety measures are respected (use of correct footwear during sports, no unsupervised team games etc).
• Ensure risk assessments are up to date and available for staff.
• Ensure risk assessments are distributed to key staff before excursions and activities.
• Assist in the closing down of the course, repacking and stock checking.
• Liaising with school/college staff for timetabled use of facilities.
• Act as the assistant local Designated Safeguarding Officer
Qualifications and experience
• Experience of managing a team and working with teenagers in a residential environment
• Appropriate Leisure qualification e.g. Sports Management etc.
• DBS certification
Requirements of the Job
• Attendance at the pre-course training
• Arrival at centre three days before course start date
• Attendance during the course on a rota basis for six days per week
• One full day off per week