Activity Leader Reports to: Activity Manager
The Emerald Cultural Institute has over 30 years’ experience in providing high quality English courses. From the moment our young learners arrive, ECI staff work hard to ensure that they are active, learning effectively and having the educational experience of a lifetime.
Main purpose of the Job:
To inject life into the Activities Programme, providing an experience which is stimulating and culturally enriching for students, and to supervise the students outside the classroom, overseeing their welfare, safety and discipline at all times.
• Arrive at least two days before start date to attend pre-course induction and help set up the centre.
• Welcome students on the first Sunday with orientation around the site, checking into rooms, and providing initial ‘getting to know you’ entertainment as directed by the Activity Manager.
• Supervises the ‘going to bed’ and ‘getting up’ routines, morning and afternoon breaks, meal times, and free time supervision on a rota basis.
• Monitors the health and safety, welfare and discipline of students, anticipating discrimination, bullying, and damage.
• Monitors the whereabouts of students through roll-calls at meetings, lunch-time and in the evenings, ensuring that curfews are kept and bed-times respected.
• Attends staff meetings/admin slots for briefings, activity preparation, liaising with the academic team and training (on a rota basis).
• Leads the activity or excursions for a group of students at pre-arranged times over six days each week.
• Bring in new and fresh ideas and implement these into the Activity Programme
• Encourages full and enthusiastic involvement by students in the scheduled Activity and Excursion Programme, leading by example.
• Completes attendance records of students as required and reports on non-attendance or ill-discipline.
• Co-operates with the Activity Manager, and also on occasions with agents and accreditation inspectors, in the observation and evaluation of activities.
• Supervises the departure of the students on their departure day, checking beds and facilities, collecting keys as appropriate, escorting students and luggage to pick-up points at agreed times.
Qualifications, experience and requirements of the job:
• Suitable Leisure qualification e.g. current lifeguard certificate, specialist coaching qualification, First Aid an advantage
• Experience of working with teenagers in a residential environment
• Enthusiasm, energy and motivational skills
• DBS Certification
• Attendance at ECI pre-course induction days
• Attendance on six days per week on a rota basis
• One day off per week usually to be taken mid-week