Reports to: Centre Manager
The Emerald Cultural Institute has over 30 years’ experience in providing high quality English courses. From the moment our young learners arrive, ECI staff work hard to ensure that they are active, learning effectively and having the educational experience of a lifetime.
Main Purpose of the Job:
To be responsible for the successful delivery of the Leisure Programme, ensuring that the activities and excursions are stimulating, structured, and inclusive, and that the welfare, safety and discipline of the students are paramount.
• Assist in setting up the programme in advance of students’ arrival, including unpacking, distribution and storage of course materials. Setup of the centre to ensure that there is a fun and engaging atmosphere created from the start.
• Complete a full inventory and monitor usage, reporting any missing or damaged equipment to the Centre Manager. Ordering of any activity equipment over the summer.
• Lead the daily activity meeting during the course to review previous day’s activities, planning, etc.
• Check staff Game Plans on a daily basis and give constructive feedback on how to enhance the programme.
• Assist with the training of staff on the induction-training day.
• Assist in induction of students and group leaders onto course.
• Welcomes the students on the first day of arrival co-ordinating orientation around the site, allocation of and checking into rooms, banking, calls home and initial “getting to know you” entertainment.
• Co-ordinate and support the activity leader team (including residential staff and teachers), motivating and leading through example.
• Monitor the Leisure Programme and adapt as appropriate in consultation with the Centre Manager.
• Allocate and brief centre staff for all activities, supervision arrangements and excursions, ensuring staffing ratios are maintained at all times.
• Develop training programmes over the summer to engage the staff and encourage positive team building.
• Advertise and build enthusiasm for programmed activities.
• Ensure that all equipment and resources are provided to the staff for all activities so that the programme is of a high standard.
• Alongside the Centre Manager confirm the bookings with the Head Office team and ensure that each week’s activities in school and excursions are led to a high standard.
• Monitor expenditure on the Leisure Programme providing vouchers from staff to the Centre Manager and detailed records of expenditure on course programme to ensure that costs remain within budget.
• Co-ordinate with the Centre Manager and centre staff on arrival and departure duties to ensure the safe arrival/departure of all students.
• Always be outside the Centre to ensure that Afternoon trips depart on a timely manner.
• Creating a roster for the Activity Staff. Ensuring they have no more than 45 hours per week.
• Liaise with the Centre Manager and DOS/Senior Teacher on the morning meetings and participate as appropriate.
• Ensure the attendance of all students throughout the leisure programme.
• Take responsibility for the health, safety, welfare and discipline of the students anticipating discrimination, bullying and damage.
• Liaise with the Centre Manager each day regarding planned activities, use of additional facilities and issues of safety, welfare and discipline.
• Take responsibility for the supervision of leisure activities ensuring health and safety measures are respected (use of correct footwear during sports, no unsupervised team games etc).
• Ensure risk assessments are up to date and available for staff.
• Assist in the closing down of the Centre. Ensure that the Centre is left to a high standard. Record of Inventory for the Head Office team and completion of final evaluations for all Activity Staff members.
• Liaising with school/college staff for timetabled use of facilities.
• Act as the assistant local Designated Safeguarding Officer.
Qualifications and experience
• Experience of managing a team and working with teenagers in a residential environment.
• Appropriate Leisure qualification e.g. Sports Management etc.
• Garda Vetting certification.
Requirements of the Job
• Completion of the Online Training Modules
• Garda Vetting Certification
• Tusla Online Training Module
• Attendance at The All Staff Training Day
• Attendance during the course on a rota basis for six days per week
• One full day off per week