These courses have been specifically designed for non-native teachers of English at primary and secondary school level and help teachers to develop their classroom skills and to prepare their lessons effectively. The main focus is on practical ideas and materials development.
Modern Methodology & Language Development for Primary School Teachers of English
This two-week course provides language-development classes and methodology modules focusing on the teaching of English in the primary classroom and on the needs of young learners. The main focus is on practical ideas and materials development. Modules include: Songs and Games in the Language Classroom; Drama and Role-Play; Tasks and Activities for Language Learning; English Across the Curriculum; Developing Listening and Speaking Skills; Internet Resources for Language Teachers. Practical workshops focus on helping participants to devise materials and lessons for their own teaching situations. A minimum language level of CEFR B1 is required for this programme.
Modern Methodology & Language Development for Secondary School Teachers of English
This course focuses on the teaching of English in the secondary-school classroom. Different learning theories and their applications are presented and practical modules include: Teaching the Four Skills; Use of Authentic Materials; Tasks and Activities for Language Learning; Drama and Role-Play in the Language Classroom. Participants are also given the opportunity to improve their confidence and competence in English by means of language development classes. We provide afternoon seminars in Education and in Irish Culture. A minimum language level of Upper Intermediate (CEFR B2) is required for this programme.
Introduction to CLIL: Theory & Practice (with Language Development option)
This course is for teachers who are new to, or have recently begun teaching CLIL. It is a practical introduction o the CLIL approach for all secondary teachers and primary teachers of pupils aged 10+. The course combines lectures and practical workshops and it presents the key concepts in CLIL, using a selection of practical activities for various subjects at late primary and secondary level. The course is available as a one week intensive CLIL only option, or as a two week CLIL & Language Development option. A minimum English language level of CEFR B2 is required for CLIL programmes.
Qualifying participants on previous Emerald Teacher Training courses have been funded by the Erasmus Plus programme. If you are a qualifying teacher, please contact your National Agency for more details. All applications need to be made through your school or institution.
The courses were developed within the Erasmus+ framework.
- 60-minute lessons
- Written and oral assessment tests
- Ongoing Academic support and monitoring
- Use of multi-media facilities
- Free supervised study sessions in the afternoons
- Regular progress reports
- Study Plans designed with Academic Mentors for long-term students
- Free programme of workshops and seminars
- Interesting and stimulating course materials
- Rich and varied social programme
- Welcome Kit with maps and student handbook
- Recognised test preparation centre for TOEIC, TIE, Trinity Examinations and Oxford Test of English
- Cambridge Examination Venue and Preparation Centre for Cambridge and IELTS examinations
- Course Diploma with student report
- Exclusive access to Emerald Student Website with essential information for students